How to pick a loan officer
by: Joshua Jarvis
The importance of a good loan professional is one the most overlooked items in the home buying process in GA. Here’s a run down of the things that can happen:
- Missing Closing Date – Cost you time and money (the banks can charge a per diem!)
- Surprise at Closing – Ooops, we forgot to tell you need $3,000 more at closing
- Thinking you are approved when you’re not! – Costs you lots of time and money (after all you spent on the inspection and the appraisal!)
- Getting the wrong (or not the best program) – HUGE! You need a loan professional to walk you through the process to get the best program fro your situations. Definitely costs you money, lots of money.
- Failure to explain the loan process
- Failure to explain the Local and State challenges in the loan process – In Atlanta there is an attorney but they don’t represent anyone but the lender vs New York where everyone has an attorney, even the insurance agent.
- Get a referral
- Make sure they are local – some online ones are good, but again, I’d check for a referral.
- Ask them questions! – Are you comfortable?
- This is the person that is handling your money – ask yourself if you feel comfortable with them